PureOmega 600 is International Fish Oil Standards (IFOS) five-star certified, which assures the highest level of purity, stability, and potency in fish oils. Each fish-gelatin–based softgel provides 600 mg of EPA and DHA. The softgels are covered with a GRAS-certified enteric coating so that they are easy to swallow and the EPA/DHA content is optimally absorbed. EPA and DHA from fish oil promote wellness by supporting cardiovascular health, cytokine balance, joint health, and brain and nervous system function.
Omega-3 fatty acids are found in fatty layers of cold-water fish and shellfish, plant and nut oils, English walnuts, flaxseed, algae oils, and fortified foods. You can also get omega-3s as supplements. Food and supplement sources of these fatty acids differ in the forms and amounts they contain.
There are the two main types of omega-3 fatty acids:
1. Long-chain omega-3 fatty acids are EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid). These are plentiful in fish and shellfish. Algae often provides only DHA.
2. Short-chain omega-3 fatty acids are ALA (alpha-linolenic acid). These are found in plants, such as flaxseed. Though beneficial, ALA omega-3 fatty acids have less potent health benefits than EPA and DHA. You'd have to eat a lot to gain the same benefits as you do from fish.
Hundreds of studies suggest that omega-3s may provide some benefits to a wide range of diseases: cancer, asthma, depression, cardiovascular disease, ADHD, and autoimmune diseases, such as rheumatoid arthritis.¹
EPA and DHA from fish oil promote cardiovascular health by supporting optimal triglyceride and cholesterol levels and reducing platelet aggregation. Fish oil has also been shown to promote optimal joint function and overall brain and nervous system function.
In addition, fish oil is an effective treatment for acne. EPA is known to inhibit androgen formation, which can affect the formation of sebum in hair follicle, leading to acne.
Fish oil also helps maintain a good luster of the hair, because omega-3 has growth stimulating properties, since it provides nourishment to the follicles. It aids in increased development of hair and in preventing hair loss. A good supply of protein is also necessary for hair growth, and since most fish varieties are rich in protein, eating fish helps to keep hair healthy.²
Fish Oil Key Benefits:
- Improved triglyceride and cholesterol levels
- Supports cardiovascular health
- Supports healthy mental functioning
- Supports healthy glucose and insulin metabolism
- Optimal joint function
- Healthier hair and skin